Monday, October 27, 2014

Monday: Crockpot Beef Stock

On Sunday I bought $9.44 worth of beef ribs because they were the only bones I could find. That night I tried my hand at making my first beef stock. Here's what I did:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast beef ribs in shallow pan for 30 min. Remove and cool.

2. Add ribs to crockpot with frozen leftover celery, carrots, and parsley unused in last week's chicken stock brew; add a teaspoon of whole peppercorns, a tablespoon of rice vinegar, fresh sage and thyme and a bay leaf.

3. Cook on high for 2 hours; then low for 6, then I opened it to check on it and the beef was still pretty stuck onto the bone - so back it goes on until morning. Let's call it 14 hours total. It smells SUPER MEATY.

4. Remove meat from bones; return bones to broth, and store meat in fridge.

5. Strain; let cool; refrigerate; scoop out fat once solidified. Freeze for long term use. Go to work. Happy Monday!

The jury is still out; I'm making crockpot beef stew later this week with a motley crew of leftover vegetables, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment