Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cornbread Misadventures

I am trying--and failing--to figure out how to make FODMAP-friendly cornbread before Thanksgiving.

The first experiment involved a packet of Kalustyan's GF cornbread mix with half the instructions rubbed off. I added frozen corn and cheese and let's just say that didn't work. The consistency was terrible, the bread was flavorless, and overall it was just embarrassing.

The second was a variation on this Betty Crocker recipe.
1/2 stick butter
1 cup water plus 3 teaspoons coconut oil
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup GF flour (I used a combination of quinoa and rice flour)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

I cooked it on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. The consistency was great; however, I'm afraid I used rancid butter, because the smell was off and a minute after eating it I wasn't feeling so hot. Next time, use fresh butter!

For my third and hopefully final attempt, I'm going to (a) use fresh butter, and (b) rely more heavily on rice flour than quinoa flour, which has a kind of overpowering nutty/chalky taste, and (c) add cheese and corn, and (4) bake it in the oven. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment