Monday, January 20, 2014

Welcome!

First off, welcome to the blog and thanks for stopping by.

I have a slow cooker, access to an affordable but limited local grocery and a decent farmer's market, an aversion to hard work and details, and a raft of food allergies and intolerances, including nuts, beer, onions, and pasta. So I decided to start this blog as a platform to take notes, learn stuff, and hopefully help out others in the same boat.

Here are my general guidelines when it comes to mealmaking:

1. The rule of waste. I try not to buy anything if I'm not going to use all of it. Recipes that call for a quarter cup of something that's only sold in quarts are a problem when I can't find a use for the rest of the quart.

2. The rule of cost. Buy what's in season or what's generic and build meals around cheap staples (rice, rice, rice.) I enjoy making use of stuff that's about to go bad or been sitting in the pantry for a while, partly because I'm cheap but also because I get to pretend I'm a Boxcar Child or living in a zombie apocalypse or something.

3. The rule of time. Time is precious. Make big meals ahead of time to have dinner for several nights in a row. Use the slow cooker on a timer, so dinner is ready by the time you get home. Minimize the number of dirty dishes created, because it takes time to wash those, too. And everyone gets grumpy when dinner isn't served til 9:30.

4. The rule of health. Eat positively. Food is a better nutrient delivery system than anything you can buy at GNC. Bonus points for plant-based oils, omega 3s, antioxidants, lean protein, etc. Try to buy organic meat and avoid FODMAPs.

5. The rule of Cartman.


 
Rules about food are made to be broken, especially if you feel like it and it's convenient to do so.












No comments:

Post a Comment