Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sunday grocery shop and meal plan

I sent my husband to the regular grocery while I made the trek to Whole Foods at Union Square. I brought a backpack and a hangover and some unexplainable good cheer. I left $147 later, having purchased enough meat to fill the entire backpack and cause the cashier to comment that I must have been buying groceries for the month (I wish.) I got ground turkey, ground beef, chicken thighs, chicken breasts, lamb bones, a pork shoulder, and--the most thrilling--a giant beef knuckle bone to make stock with. I had to ask the butcher for it special!

Other things on the list: gluten free rice flour, three boxes of Kind bars, zucchini, gluten free chocolate chips, frozen fruits and veggies (green beans, broccoli rabe, blueberries, chopped spinach), Parmesan cheese, pitted Kalamata olives, a huge can of crushed tomatoes, nice croutons (my treat) and high-end Greek olive oil (a necessity.) I forgot gluten-free bread and felt like such a dummy.

Husband spent $70 at the grocery and got a green and red bell pepper, lemons, salad greens, an avocado (for me,) English muffins (ditto), coffee creamer, Arborio rice, cilantro, lunch meat, corn tortillas, tortilla chips, eggs, bacon, and more.

I'm a little shocked by how much we've been spending on food lately, but it's definitely worth it.

Tonight I'm whipping up chicken and rice, and cooking turkey chili overnight in the slow cooker.

Tomorrow evening, if I have time, I'll bake a breakfast bread, and get that pork shoulder started in the slow cooker... We should be set for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment